Saturday, May 05, 2007

the world is broken.... but there is hope

As I'm writing this, my housemates are downstairs doing wedding hair. Angela spent the last three hours while the rest of us were listening to Romeo Dallaire talk about child soldiers doing Amanda's hair to see how she wants it done for her July wedding. They are blasting Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol, so it's drifting up here to my room as my soundtrack. It's funny how we can be over here, working our 9-5 jobs, taking classes, celebrating new marriages, enjoying our friends' company, doing each others' hair in preparation for a wedding... that all of these things can go on so normally while all over the world the most horrific things are happening: children are being used as weapons, forced to take drugs and kill their families and rape their sisters and then kill more people in 'acts of genocide'.

Dallaire was a great speaker. He was really, really great. He made me think about things from another perspective that I haven't had in awhile. He made me believe that perhaps there is hope. With all this talk about child soldiers and genocide - I often think that there is no way we can figure any of this out, that people are so self-interested and disinterested. But when he spoke today, I thought that perhaps things could change. I got to thinking about some sort of research project that probably could work, I could do my masters in it or something. It's the answer to this question. I'll think about it.

2 comments:

Rainbow Choi =) said...

hmmm..

many thoughts indeed... we need an msn date soon, my dear!

xox
rainbow =)

Unknown said...

Hey,
I definitely know what you mean. Yesterday we were out doing Day of O and we were put into groups of 4. My roomie (Karen) and I went sharing with some girls in the foodcourt while the boys went and shared with an older gentlemen. After they shared with him, we all met for lunch and discussed how everything went. Apparently this guy was next thing to commiting suicide. In the beginning of their conversation the guy was apparently very negative, but by the end he had a more positive tone. He said that he is probably next thing to accepting Jesus as his Saviour (WOOT!).

Anyhow listening to that story and realizing how can I carry on with the mundane when people are hurting so badly and need someone to listen to them. It hit me again yesterday in the food court that God wants me to be that person.

I am so excited that you are planning to get your Masters later on. My prayers are with you Jess! Love you and keep in touch!

Amanda