Friday, July 13, 2007

The Wedding pt I

it seems like so much has happened since the beginning of the week. And by 'so much' I feel like I may just be a different person than I was on monday. The speech was well received. So well received, I decided to post it. So here goes:

First of all I just want to thank all of you for coming to celebrate this exciting day for Jordan and Amanda. Thank you to Amanda’s family for working so hard to provide us this meal; to the groom's parents for their contribution last night; and thanks so much to Amanda for being so gracious to us – her bridesmaids and housemates – throughout this whole process. We know it’s been stressful for you but now it’s almost over! And I would finally like to thank God for keeping the groomsmen safe last night and for keeping the rain at bay during the pictures today.

I’ve known Amanda since our first year at University here at Queen’s and our relationship blossomed and was cemented by becoming housemates this past year. I remember her being different from everyone else on campus because she cared deeply about me and our friendship immediately after we first met here at Bethel one day. She wasn’t like the other people who would carry on awkward conversation and say hi in passing; she knew my name and pursued a friendship with me with love and compassion.

As I know both of you will see a bit of the difficulties of what marriage brings, Jordan – I will share with you some wisdom I’ve gained in living with Amanda this past year.

  1. When deciding on jewelry as a gift, diamonds or other feminine necklaces will go over much better with her than bullets on chains.
  2. Be wary of her mock-chicken eating habits or it might come back to haunt you – literally… it might come back.
  3. Don’t be offended if she follows you around the kitchen cleaning up behind you AS YOU ARE EATING. Just kindly remind her that she can’t wash the spoon while its in your mouth. Let’s just say she likes her kitchen clean.
  4. Don’t be shocked if your bathroom/bedroom/kichen/livingroom arrangements are moved or changed monthly. She likes change. Regular and frequent change.
  5. She loves cards and post-it notes with messages of how you love her, care for her, are thinking of her, praying for her, or even with just a scripture reference.
  6. Don’t let her change the subject if you ask her about her day. It means she’s avoiding talking about something she needs to deal with. Love her and gently force her to answer!
The other day I was listening to a sermon on my Ipod and I thought I would share a section of it with you guys today. It’s a quote from Marc Driscoll, one of my favourite speakers other than our very own Pastor Doug of course! Driscoll was talking about men loving their crazy hot-headed wives. A little disclaimer: Amanda, I’m not saying you’re crazy or hot-headed, but I think it’s safe to say that women can be emotional at times and under a little stress, even things like cheese can seem INCREDIBLY important. He explains:

Men take their cue of how to love their wife from who? From Jesus….Who is Jesus’ bride? The church! Aww she’s a pretty one isn’t she? What a keeper she is. Wrong. How many of you would like to be married to Christianity? Oh that would be fun… No its not. Does the church respect Jesus, follow Jesus, honour Jesus, listen to Jesus, treat him with the dignity that he requires? No. So how does Jesus respond to his HORRENDOUS wife? He loves her. He’s patient with her. He’s compassionate with her. He’s merciful to her. Does Jesus ever raise his hand? Does he ever raise his voice in a sinful way? No…. we are to be like Jesus. We are to initiate, we are to love, we are to bless, we are to encourage, and we are to serve. Jesus’s wife killed him and what did he do? He resurrected and kept pursuing her. You get up and keep pursuing her.

It’s true that I don’t have any idea what marriage is like. But what I do know is that living with Amanda and the rest of these fine housemates of mine has been a huge learning process for me. Amanda, you have taught me so much grace this past year. You have taught me to be more considerate in the way I communicate, to be less cold and harsh. You have lovingly helped me keep my cool during times when I should have been calming you down. You have taught to be more patient and to pray a lot more and you have taught me about servanthood. Well, I should say God has taught me these things through you.

Jordan, it is with joy that I pass one of my best friends on to you. It is my prayer that you will love her, that you would cherish her, lead her in God’s adventure for you both, and always choose to get up and pursue her. Amanda, remember that although you are moving away from us, home is not where your friends are; home is where God is. I pray that you two will build your home together with God at the centre, I pray that you two will daily seek Him and that you will edify each other with your words. Remember that Peter urges us to “love each other deeply for love covers over a multitude of sins” and that “if anyone speaks he should do it as one speaking the very words of God, and if anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides.” Remember that the Holy Spirit dwells in you both and it is only through His power that you two will have a long, wonderful, joyful, marriage. I am praying for you two, and I am so excited to see how God blesses you both through this union that you began today.

No comments: