Monday, February 19, 2007

thinking about my future

I really love languages. I love that I can sort of speak french (well, enough to get by) and I really want to start learning Spanish as well. Everyone says it'll be easy for me to learn because I already have a good handle on French and Spanish is easy to learn as it is. I was online looking at ways to easily pick up a language and came across these sites: How To Learn A Foreign Language, How I learned French in One Year, How To Learn A Language Quickly.

All this talk about learning languages made me wonder why I have been thinking so much about going on STINT to Tanzania and not more about spending a year on STINT in France like I had been thinking about last fall. I sort of had a mini-dillema: I had been thinking about spending a year in Tanz, telling people - planning etc, and now I'm reconsidering?? AGAIN? lol i change my mind SO MUCH, I really need to stay set on a decision.

So I was thinking about it: does it ultimately really matter what I do the year following University? My mini/vague rigid-stance-of-total-flexibility plan is to spend a year on STINT and then come back and join staff in Montreal for a couple years and then maybe go on to bigger and better things. It seemed like maybe it made better sense to spend a year in France getting a better handle on the language before I come back to Montreal. But, then I would be doing anything development related - well at least getting experience living in a 'developing' country. So I felt this sadness: do I follow my passion for Francophonie, or for development. Later on in life after I get more missions/development experience and a Masters in Int'l Dev I would like to perhaps teach Development @ a Missions seminary or something.

So in talking at Lydia for a couple seconds before she bailed on me for a better loved friend (joke) I figured it out. While spending the year in France would improve my speaking skills drastically, I can do the same in Montreal (sort of), but I can't get the year experience of living in Tanzania in France (obviously). Plus, there are a lot of students at schools like U de M from Cameroon and other French speaking African countries. So yeah... I figured out my own dillema I think. We'll see.

No comments: