Tuesday, November 14, 2006

school, friendship and selfishness

Sometimes I wish I was Asian. Then I would have fantastic marks and my future would be uninhibited by my own lack of intelligence. I would be able to do anything I wanted to do, and not be prevented because I'm not smart enough, or at least don't have the work ethic.

I was talking about the work ethic thing with my housemate, Tanya, who's from a biracial backround of Japanese and English. She's been taught that while at university School is her life and she should devote all her time and energy into it. I totally respect that. In some ways I don't understand how a person can do that because I've always been taught that relationships are important and basically the point of life. Aside from the obvious religious aspects to the goal in life, of course. Seriously, though, sometimes I want to just crack down and live at the library and think only about school. In that way I think Christians are by default persecuted - in the sense that the World does not reward the lifestyle that we're called to live. Success means being smart and rich and popular, and so I'm technically unsucessful at life because my marks are good by my own standards and I try to have meaningful relationships with people.

Is it selfish to want to focus on school only? I feel like it is. Every time I want to really only think about school (and that doesn't mean not having Christian fellowship, because I WOULD DIE. Even though I talk about wanting to be a hermit in the jungle, it doesn't mean I could stay sane) I seem to get the impression that neglecting my friends means I'm a bad person. That if I'm not investing my energy in relationships I'm being selfish. But isn't it being presumptuous that my imput in someone's life matters?

ahh its hard to not think about rational self-interest in a free market society. CAPITALISM WHY MUST YOU INFILTRATE MY MIND???

on a totally different note: did you know that the Canada Pension Plan, while it says it abides by the UN Global Compact it actually doesn't. Anyone who has ever worked in Canada legally has funded investment in:
5 of the world's top 20 weapons-makers, tobacco giants such as Rothmans and Imperial Tobacco, and nine of the top 10 air polluters in the U.S.

It also includes companies whose operations have been linked to allegations of human-rights abuses in Amnesty International reports. (Ottawa Citizen article)

Fantastic, eh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

im asian and im getting crappy markts this year. im getting dumber by the minute. and also a procrastinator and screwed. and currently have no grammar so i cant even write properlly..wah. why cant i be an asian too? (or at least fit into the stereotype)...maybe its because im a rebel? ahahh (tat is screwing herself over)

Jess Versteeg said...

or maybe, Glo, its because you watch 10 hours of TV a week and the rest of your time you're at the Editor's office haha.

Rainbow Choi =) said...

BAHHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
im sorry, jess, that first line was awesome. sometimes i wish you were asian too, and that would increase your chances of living with your fellow asian posse over here in vancouver instead of halfway across the country.

lol... my super simple thoughts? life ISNT about school (duh)... but it took me many years to figure that one out. relationships ARE important and given that you're being responsible with your time and stewardship of your studenthood (poetic, n'est-ce pas?!) is it selfish to focus on school only? YESSS i would think you were selfish and nerdy if you purposefully neglected me in pursuit of higher grades :)

i hope im not being harsh, but seriously... you are probably one of the most relational people i know! take it from a recovered school=life asian... dont be enticed by the hermit life, you know its not worth it!!

<3

Jonathan P said...

Psh... y'all are the epitomy of poor students. *scoff* I can't believe I liked you people

*points at the above absolutely soaking and dripping with sarcasm*

Haha... indeed the engrained school is life work ethic... I still have it (living at home and all does that). The philosophy that I have on that is that God has placed you in your situation for a reason. Certainly, it's very important to realize and understand your purpose in the Great Commission, but at the same time we are also students and therefore have been called to utilize our intelligence and time to the best of our ability to do the best we can. I happen to be able to do very well when I work really hard, and that in and of itself can be used as an effective witness.

So, in one sense, it may not be "selfish" to see school as the focus your life, because theoretically, as a student, that is the situation you are in right now. After all, to do really well, school is almost like a 75 hour a week full time job...

Anyway... yeah that's my view on it. It's only recently that I've put stock in having a relational life...