Monday, August 25, 2008

ADD

This summer I've noticed that I'm kind of ADD-esque. Well, not really. I don't have ADD and many things can hold my attention. I have noticed, though, that I get really excited and interested in something and I stick to that for a bit and the proceed to move on to something once that initial excitement and interest has passed. Perseverance has really never been my forte. It's kind of annoying, actually. I love the feeling of accomplishment; I rarely experience it. I tend to finish things I cannot quit, but then I find ways to quit more things than the average person. I can justify anything. 

This has made me realize how unprepared I am to move into the next stage of my life. I'm much less mature than I had previously thought, I'm much less put-together and really just feel like I'm fumbling around trying to figure things out. It's weird -- for so long I was very self-assured and self-aware. I knew myself, was comfortable with who I was and that was that. I guess this summer I've realized just how proud I've been and how much of my personality was built on a foundation of pride, what I thought was self-confidence. When the busyness of life quiets down and you find yourself alone, what do you do with your time? I really did not expect my summer to be spent this way. Maybe it will prove useful later, who knows. 

No comments: