Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I just read Tim Challies' post where he explains his answer to his kids when they asked him who he loved more, them or their mother (& his wife). This was his answer:
"'Daddy, who do you love more, Mommy or us?' I thought for just a moment and told them the truth. They cried.

The fact is, I love their mother more than I love them and I told them as much. I did so gently and lovingly but with confidence that I am right to feel this way. I love my children desperately.... There are undoubtedly different kinds of love and we cannot necessary equate the passionate, romantic love I have for my wife with the parental love I have for my children. Where I never chose to love my children, I did choose to love Aileen, or I did as much as anyone can exercise his will in such matters of the heart. There came a time when I set my heart on her and committed myself to loving her for better or for worse."
What he said really made me think about my own life (not my singlness, although it did make me think about that, too). It occurred to me how upset I was when my mom made it clear to me and my brother that we were a side-note to her life with her new husband. This was pretty difficult for me and made me pretty angry. I'm not saying it is wrong, but it just goes to show how awful divorce is in so many different ways. I guess that may also be the root of the archetypal image of the evil step-parent. As children, we think the the step-parent is evil because they are coming between the natural bond between a parent & a child that preceeded the love between the parent & step-parent (but not preceeding the love of the original parents).

Anyways, these are just reflections on growing into adulthood, or something.

No comments: