Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Source (Pt 1)

I am under water. In the deep, dark depths of a body of water. I start swimming towards the surface, and can see as I'm traveling too slowly upward that the sky beyond is brooding. There is a storm at bay. But the storm in the sky brings much less fear to my heart than the realization that I am running out of air. My lungs burn, not with the feeling of a race well run but of the desperation of a lack of oxygen. I pump my legs and arms harder and harder. I begin to think that I might not make it to the surface.

There it is! I can feel my hand break the membrane of water into the cold, windy air above. Just before my head breaks the surface I realize the answer to my problems: the tribe of Judah! Somehow this brings relief, from what I'm not sure. As I gasp!!! for air, filling my lungs as deeply as possible with the sweet, sweet oxygen I had been denied for so long, I realize that I am in a very, very large body of water. An ocean, perhaps, as I cannot see land. What I can see all around me, though, are people in various stages of breaking the surface towards the life-bringing oxygen.

But after the wonderful, sweet realization that I have survived I come face to face with the terrifying understanding that I am one of many people here in this angry ocean, with no life boat and no land. I don't know who these people are or why they are here with me; I don't even know why I am here in this ocean, together with these strangers in anxiety but completely alone.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

lol as soon as i read "i am under water" i thought "the tribe of Judah!" ...and sure enough...

Jess Versteeg said...

ha i knew you'd recognize it!

Angelic Engineer said...

I can barely read the text because of the font. Even on the larger text size option :(

Nice job on the template though :)

Jess Versteeg said...

hey thanks ang. i forgot to check it out in safari. the text is still Garamond in Flock, Firefox & IE. I'll change the font size when I get home later!

perseverance. said...

ditto.

i like the template. i want to switch from xanga. i want to stream video.