Thursday, October 04, 2007

construction, fall, thanksgiving, and droopy eyelids

This week has been weird. I've gotten over the whole morning-after-syndrome and am now looking to the future with excitement. I've had a lot of opportunities to step outside my own comfort zone, and was faithful to follow through because God is good. I'm actually sitting in a seminar right now, as my prof talks about "invention of tradition" and the "creation of tribalism" in parts of africa. But I'm thinking about the encouraging Servant Team meeting I just had (at 7am!) and thus my droopy eyelids. The leaves are turning and tides are changing here at Queen's. Day by day I'm excited to leave behind me my schooling, and am enjoying the transformation of this campus that is analogous to the construction that is ripping apart our campus. God is good. He is faithful.

I really love fall. Watching the leaves change and as they die they become so beautiful. It reminds me of sanctification. It reminds me of something my dad said to me on the phone when we were discussing my staff interview this weekend. I told him when the staff asked me "What motivates you?" I had totally drawn a blank and ended up replying really stupidly for a lack of anything better to say at the time. His response was, "I know what motivates you. Hypocrisy. You see hypocrisy in people and you want them to be better, you want them to have integrity, and so you're honest with them and encourage them to be better." It's true, although I had never really thought of it like that.

1 comment:

Rainbow Choi =) said...

in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose...

sooo true jess!! (about the hypocrisy thing) i love it!!

okie i have a million things i need to do so last comment for now, but ill look forward to catching up wit hte rest later! love ya

xox
rainrain