Monday, June 16, 2008

the office, waterloo etc.

I made a semi-spontaneous trip to Elmira/Waterloo this weekend. We left at 6:30 am and got to Elmira at 12:30ish I think. Nick and I watched The Office the entire ride down on his laptop. I think it was Season 2. That was thoroughly enjoyable. When we watched the office on Thursday nights this past semester I never really realized how RETARCULOUSLY funny it is. Mostly cause people were talking & I had no idea what was going on. The few things I could pick up at the time was that Jim liked Pam and Michael was a tard and had a thing with Jan but I don't think I really knew who Jan was... Julia just kept talking about Jan and all these other peoples' names that I never figured out who they were. BUT NOW I KNOW.

I ended up being able to get together with Marvin in Waterloo Friday evening where we chatted for awhile & I got to do my presentation with her. That was pretty exciting. Her reaction (= feeling perhaps the beginning of a calling to Quebec, no jokes!) I think was the best one I've had so far. Seriously. People partnering in prayer & finances is sweet, but people partnering in prayer and finances and then wanting to go themselves?? That's out of control.

I really enjoyed spending time with my Aunt & Uncle and my cousins. They've been serving in Prague, Czech Republic for the last 10 years and have only been back for not even an entire year. We talked about how they're back in Canada but it's definitely not home, and doing cross-cultural missions. They had some pretty interesting and important insight about the challenges I will likely face in reaching the Quebecois population. 

As most of you know, while I was there I found out that my grampy (who I had visited while I was in BC) had suddenly passed away. I'm doing fine with the news; I know he lived a good 15-20 years longer than is normal for someone with diabetes (he was going to be awarded some crazy certificate from the Governor General for health... which is kind of weird. like "congratulations for not dying yet!") and I know he's gone to be with Jesus so that's pretty cool. So, as strange as it may seem to some people -- my life is going on as usual. I can't afford to fly out to BC for the funeral, but my mom & younger brother are leaving on Wednesday for the Memorial service on Saturday. 

My next few weeks are going to fly by like crazy I think. I'd like to see if maybe I can actually get 10 appointments this week, but I kind of doubt that. We shall see!

No comments: