Thursday, October 05, 2006

la langue française

So I'm realizing more and more how much I love french. Being in Montreal all summer got me accustomed to the crazy Québecois accent. I used to hate it and think it was this awful vulgar abbomination of the language, but now I like it. A lot. It feels like home. I'm finding the Perisian accent pretentious. But I still would like to spend some time in France just to say I have. France still sounds so classic and chic.

The thing is, I don't want to do the work to be good at the language. It takes so much effort, so much time. But I really enjoy reading literature in French because it sounds so much more profound, even if la profondeur is lost on me because I don't understand the nuances.

But I guess if I want to be bilingual by the time I'm 25 (and I do, it's a life goal of mine), I guess I should actually try. Sigh. Priorities, Jess, Priorities!

No comments: