Friday, May 09, 2008

la compagne

things I love about my dad's place that make living with dial-up internet bearable (i may take back the "bearable" part later on this summer) in no particular order:

05. sunsets on the water
04. canoeing to the waterfall & to islands on the Ottawa river and swimming
03. the incredible stars at night
02. campfires in my backyard roasting "guimauves"
01. the sound of the bugs & frogs & birds at night

All five of these things I have enjoyed this week (although not the second half of #4) and I have been particularly pleased that Brittany has enjoyed them as well. It warms my heart so much to know that my friend is here with me enjoying this too. It makes me so much more compelled to invite everyone else who hasn't seen my lovely country place to come (especially so I wont be so lonely).

Britt and I went for a walk and it made me think of various people in my life: the broken down abandoned homes reminded me of my good friend Mel's farmhouse that her great-(great?)-grandfather built with his bear hands a few kilometers away from my place; it made me think of what fun Lydia would have in taking pictures around here; it made me think of how far I am away from Angela et al. ; it made me think of all those times i really (proudly & stupidly) thought of myself a city girl, and let's face it - country is a big part of who I am today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you can take the girl outta the prairie but you can't take the prairie outta the girl...

Alison Ma said...

i wanna visit!
& i will. just you wait.
and if i don't, you have my permission to dropkick me.