Thursday, May 08, 2008

miracles do still happen

Once upon a time I used to be very very particular about who touched my computer. After many hours of hating my desktop computer with Windows, I hated my desktop computer with Linux slightly less - but both merited my deepest hatred; they were awful demon machines useful for nothing.

And then I bought my iBook in second year. Before it was really cool & normal to sport an Apple laptop, I had Athena. I had only had her less than a year when I ended taking her with me to Montreal Project where I had to get over my obsessive protectiveness and let other people use her.

Over the years I've become less & less obsessive about her, probably comparable to a mother letting her child go to her first sleep over and then to summer camp and eventually to University.

But sometimes your children have accidents. Sometimes, when they're out doing the things they love they get hurt. Like my brother's friend who broke his neck snowboarding one time, Athena's neck was broken today. Quite literally!

I was in the shower this afternoon when I heard this big crash/bang/boom. My first thought was "I hope Brittany is ok"- but really, how much damage can she do when she's sitting on my couch reading a missionary biography? I figured she had just put her feet on the coffee table and knocked off the many books there. So I continued my shower.

And then as I was turning the water off I hear a firm & urgent knock on the bathroom door.

"Yeah?"
"Um... I did something very bad."
"What?"
"Um... well... it is very bad and don't hate me."
"I wont. What happened?" I thought about it. What would I possibly hate her for doing? "Did you drop my computer?"
"Yes...."
"How bad is it?"
"Um..."
I come out of the bathroom to see britt sitting on the couch holding my closed laptop on her lap staring at it. It looked fine. Then she showed me what it looked like when it opened up haha. So funny. I'll have to take a picture of it later and upload it when I'm not on dial-up. Basically something broke in the hinge connecting the base to the screen, and now the screen is crooked, on a weird angle to the side. It's pretty funny and makes me look ghetto poor now. Maybe it will help with MPD??

I was not upset at all which is itself evidence that miracles still happen. I probably had extra grace because it's brittany, too. She kept apologizing profusely and felt horrible. It's kind of crazy how normally my eyes would have rolled into the back of my head and then I would have started foaming at the mouth, while uttering guttural slurs about murder and death. But I was fine!! I wasn't mad at all! I think it's mostly because I've been wanting a new computer for the last month or so. This one is almost 3 years old and still works ok, but it is starting to struggle a bit and is quite outdated since the new MacBooks have come out. I wont be able to run tntMPD which is a really essential program for doing support raising. We'll see how it all works out, cause I'm sure it will. I'm not even worried (which is Miracle From God #2)

3 comments:

Ms. Julia said...

OH MYLANTA!!!
I cannot believe it broke, my computer's heart reached out to touch yours. but I can see it as an answer to prayer in a twisted way.
For 1, if you had broken it, you'd probably feel really bad, cause i do about my phone. because Britt broke it, and how amazing she is, and how kind and forgiving you've seen her be, you were able to forgive and move on.
For 2, it is time for a new comp, and what better timing for one as well!
For 3, I think you are wonderful, and excited to spend time with you in one week, for one week.
I cannot believe we are actually doing this staff thing, I am SO not ready. Glad that God is! Love you baby, and it makes for a good story, this computer breaking that is going on.

Alison Ma said...

lols.
i especially liked your "foaming at the mouth" description.
& i get a kick out of imagining you taking out your broken laptop out during support appts. hahah
but seriously, hope things'll work out w/getting your computer fixed or getting a new one?

elisabeth said...

jess, such an awesome story!! i know you and that ibook, and it's cool to hear the grace you reacted with!!
lovee you and misss you a lot!!!