Thursday, May 01, 2008

unexpected & undeserved

kevin (my mom's new husband) came by today @ my dad's to pick up his trailer that we had used to move my stuff from Kingston back here. As he was hooking it up to the SUV I thanked him for helping move me. His reply was something along the lines of "well, you've worked hard all these 4 years, and you deserve it" or something like that. "Someday," he said, "you'll have a good job. You might have to wait awhile, but someday it will all pay off." I knew by his tone that he wasn't making a jab at me joining staff, but I wasn't sure what he meant. I figured he meant "good job" meant "pays well". But then, he said "I've found mine, even though it doesn't pay well, but I have a lot of freedom." 


Ok... so then he's not talking about money. Not really sure what he was referring to then, I said, "Well, I'm pretty sure I'll never have a 'good paying' job, but that's ok." 


And then he said the shocking things. "Well, Jess, there are not many people who would do what you're doing. I'm sure that you will be paid back for the good work you're doing. I don't really know much about how this all works, but God will reward you for this Christian work you're doing." 

I didn't know what to say. 

"And it says something about your character, too. At your age I don't know if I would have done that. I did want to help people but it was still all about me, you know?" 

Again, I didn't know what to say, so I just said a weak "yeah."

It says something about your character. I can't believe Kevin of all people referred to my character. Kevin -- THE person I have waged war against in my heart these last six years; the person I have had more hateful feelings towards, the person I have resented the most. While I have worked through these negative emotions and attitudes and while God has changed my heart about Kevin, I still do not -- and will never -- deserve him speaking about my character in a positive way. 

and then I log on to post this, and this

2 comments:

elisabeth said...

jess, what a beautiful story! God's grace is amazing! i love coming on here and finding a new post from you - it's like christmas all over again haha! love you. miss you!

Jonathan P said...

Aye to what was said above. Isn't it amazing where the reminder's of how much God loves us and wants to affirm us pop up?

Here's to a great and productive summer with lots of support raising!