Friday, May 02, 2008

3 things

These past few weeks of saying goodbyes has given me lots of opportunity to share with my friends the things I appreciate about them. Likewise they have often done the same. These sentiments have been interesting to me. The first time it happened I was kind of shocked and a bit offended; the thing my friend liked about me was something I wasn't particularly fond of. As it turns out, this same thing is something a few people like about me. Several people have said the same few things they like about me -- Ally reiterated #2 today in an email when I was asking her to help me make my calling statement for my Vision & Calling presentation that I will be giving over and over and over this summer. So here they are in no particular order, the things people seem to appreciate about me:

1. my bluntness. Although this often is something people hate but love about me. I tell the truth whether they like it or not and usually they don't like it at first and then they get over it and appreciate that i said it. However, this is also something that I can use very stupidly and say things I know I should re-word to be more nice, but in my emotional state I don't. It's definitely an aspect of one of my weaknesses.
2. my honesty. This one confuses me the most. But #1 confuses me too; 90% of the time I don't even know I'm being honest or blunt. Well, honesty is a little bit more obvious when I'm doing it, but I really don't know how to not be honest. This is just a concept I don't understand. I assume Ally was referring to me being particularly honest in my calling statement, but I really don't see what's so abnormal about it.
3. this is the one that is kind of annoying & I don't know what to do with it. People really (apparently) appreciate my sketchy/"twisted" sense of humour. I admit it, I do have a sketchy/twisted sense of humour. When my friend first mentioned he loved that about me, I was replied sarcastically "i'm glad you'll remember my sketchy humour and not my character." It's kind of true, I would rather people think "Wow she has integrity" rather than "Oh. my. goodness. she's so sketchy!" But he pointed out that my character is revealed in how my sketchy humour is limited -- unlike some people he knows who seem to have no boundaries to the things they'll say.

Anyways, in thinking about this it has made me a little bit more comfortable with myself. I just need to make sure I know who can handle it and who cannot. Read: do not make references to Dane Cook's joke about punching babies in front of new mothers. I NEARLY DID THIS ONCE haha. oh man. I'm so dumb sometimes. I just really need to develop a filter of thinking before I speak. Which is why I often say the things I do - I just don't think and then I end up saying things like this (however, I still will not admit or deny that I said that in DG *cough*. But it has been nicknamed "Big Girl DG" for a reason haha. eek).

4 comments:

kathryn said...

dude, i heart you for all three of those qualities :) besides . . i think i have a toned down version of your sketcy/twisted sense of humour hahaha. *ahem . . seal clubbing. oh geez.

Jonathan P said...

Lol sketch.

When used appropriately it brings warmth to the room like a crackling fire that has recently had a fresh log thrown on it.

But usually it just burns the house down >_<

Which is never good.

Alison Ma said...

hahahaha.
i think all three of these qualities come down to honesty..
a lotta ppl probably have a sketchy sense of humour at one time or another, but never have the guts to be upfront about it. same with the bluntness.
you have the guts to be honest/blunt/sketchy!

(for the record, i was referring to more of your honesty in not really knowing how to end it and wanting to end it with "and the rest is history".)

i love you!!
& i miss our big girl DG.
<3

elisabeth said...

hahaha jess i love these things! they make you YOU - and that is amazing! it is so cool to see how God uses this unique combination of traits of yours to bless people in a deep way! love!